Zelensky says counteroffensive ongoing in Ukraine
On June 10, President Volodymyr Zelensky said that the long-awaited counteroffensive against Russian forces is already ongoing in Ukraine.
"From my point of view, counteroffensive defensive actions are taking place in Ukraine," Zelensky said during a press conference following a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Kyiv.
Zelensky said he would not provide further details on the counteroffensive, but said: "I believe we will feel it."
Zelensky also said that he is constantly in touch with Ukrainian military commanders, including Commander-in-Chief Valerii Zaluzhnyi and Colonel General Oleksandr Syrskyi, who are all "feeling positive."
He also emphasized that it is important to trust Ukraine's military regarding information about the counteroffensive, not social media channels or Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Zelensky's statement comes two days after ABC News reported, citing unnamed Ukrainian officials, one of them supposedly close to Zelensky, that Ukraine launched its long-awaited counteroffensive against Russia on June 8.
According to the sources, the hostilities occurred in southeastern Ukraine, south of Zaporizhzhia.
On June 9, the Institute for the Study of War (ISW) said Ukrainian forces have made further gains around Bakhmut and continued counteroffensive operations in at least four areas of the front.
The ISW reported earlier that Ukraine's counteroffensive is anticipated to involve a range of operations of different scales, including localized attacks like the one on June 8 in southeastern Ukraine, south of Zaporizhzhia.
Kyiv's advance south in this direction may sever the land corridor between Russia and occupied Crimea, thus cutting off Russian supply lines.
On June 3, Zelensky announced that the Armed Forces of Ukraine were ready for the counteroffensive against the Russian troops.
Russia claimed that the counteroffensive began on June 5, adding that its forces had successfully repelled it without providing evidence.
Ukraine's Defense Ministry refuted Russia's claim, calling it a diversion effort. At the same time, the military reported advances in the Bakhmut direction and "other areas" on June 6.
Ukraine shot down 2 out of 8 Russian missiles fired overnight
Ukraine shot down two of the eight cruise and ballistic missiles fired by Russian forces overnight, the Air Force said on June 10.
Of the 35 Iranian-made Shahed-136 drones also attacking critical and military infrastructure in Poltava, Kharkiv, and Odesa oblasts, 20 were shot down by the air defense, according to the Air Force's report.
In the June 10 Telegram post, the Air Force said that Russian forces conducted airstrikes from the southern and northern directions, including from the Azov Sea coast. It added that the authorities are now determining the type of cruise missiles shot down by Ukraine.
In the southern Odesa Oblast, where Ukraine said it shot down all of the Shahid drones, the debris hit a multi-story building, and the fire spread 50 square meters, the Southern Operational Command said.
Three people were killed, and more than 10 were wounded, the command said, adding that the information is being clarified.
The Myrhorod military airfield in central Poltava Oblast was targeted during the attack, Governor Dmytro Lunin reported. He said the airfield's infrastructure and equipment suffered "some damage," but no casualties were reported.
Russians attacked Odesa using Shahed drones, 3 civilians killed, more than 26 injured
Ukrainian air defences have destroyed all Shahed-131/136s used during a Russian UAV attack at Odesa Oblast. Due to falling debris, a fire broke out, 3 civilians were killed, and more than 26 were injured.
During a nighttime drone attack on Odesa, all Shahed-131/136s were destroyed by air defense forces. As a result of the aerial battle, fragments of one of the drones hit a high-rise apartment building, causing a fire.
Ministry of Defence announces reasons for Russians' blowing up of Kakhovka HPP
The Russian invaders are moving their most combat-ready units from the Kherson front – primarily the marines, airborne troops, and the 49th Army – after the blowing up of the Khakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant (HPP), the Ministry of Defence has said.
"Therefore, the purpose of the Russians' blowing up of the Kakhovka HPP has become obvious.
Thus, taking into account their losses and limited reserves and understanding the inability to deter the Ukrainian offensive on various fronts, the command of the Russian invaders has decided to "narrow" the possible geography of the Armed Forces' intense actions.
The blowing up of the Kakhovka HPP was carried out to prevent the Ukrainian defense forces from launching an offensive in the Kherson sector and to free up the necessary reserves for their deployment to the Zaporizhzhia and Bakhmut fronts," - Hanna Maliar said.
Maliar explains that by destroying the Kakhovka HPP, Russia is trying to divert some of the forces and assets of the Ukrainian defense forces to deal with the man-made disaster, thereby "making it impossible to liberate the occupied territories on the left bank of Kherson Oblast."