7 of 10 Russian missiles shot down in overnight strike on Lviv
Ukrainian forces shot down seven of the 10 Russian Kalibr cruise missiles targeting Lviv on July 6, the Air Force reported.
According to the latest information from the Interior Ministry, at least four people were killed and 34 injured in residential parts of the city.
The Air Force said the missiles were launched around 1 a.m. local time from the Black Sea in several groups and initially headed north along the Dnipro River, only to change their course westward suddenly.
Ukraine's Air Force reported on Telegram just before 3 a.m. local time that the country's air defenses were operating in Lviv and Ternopil oblasts following air raid alerts nationwide.
The city of Lviv is located in Ukraine's far-western Lviv Oblast. Far from the front lines, the region has largely been spared of Russian attacks but has been subject to occasional drone and missile attacks on critical infrastructure since the start of Russia's full-scale invasion.
4 people dead, 40 wounded, 50 cars destroyed and 30 houses damaged: aftermath of Russian strike on Lviv
At least 4 people have been killed, 34 wounded, about 30 houses damaged and around 50 cars destroyed in a Russian missile attack on Lviv last night. There may still be people under the rubble.
Source: Serhii Kruk, Head of the State Emergency Service; Maksym Kozytskyi, Head of the Lviv Oblast Military Administration, on air during the 24/7 national newscast; State Emergency Service on Facebook; Andrii Sadovyi, Lviv mayor, on Telegram
Kozytskyi reported: "At the moment, we are clearing the rubble. Everyone is involved. We hope to find survivors. A direct hit on a house where people lived. 4 dead, 34 were injured, 13 were hospitalized in moderate condition. We are looking for more people because we think there may be people under the rubble, as another family has not been in touch."
Updated: At 14:46, the Ministry of Internal Affairs reported that the number of wounded at the site of the Russian strike increased to 40 people.
PHOTO BY THE STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE OF UKRAINE
Details: According to the Head of the Oblast Military Administration, 30 houses, about 50 cars, 11 dormitories of two educational institutions where internally displaced persons were located, orphanage No. 1 and a school at a sanatorium were damaged, and dozens of windows were broken.
PHOTO BY THE STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE OF UKRAINE
Kozyskyi said that the main blow was inflicted on a residential apartment building - this building was actually destroyed and 6 other buildings near it were critically damaged.
Serhii Kruk, Head of the State Emergency Service, said that the second and third floors within two entrances of a four-story apartment building had been destroyed. So far, 7 people have been rescued, and 64 have evacuated
The Head of the Oblast Military Administration says the rubble will be cleared by the end of the day.
The State Emergency Service specified that as of 08:00, emergency search-and-rescue operations are being carried out in the first, third and fourth entrances of the destroyed building.
The State Emergency Service has deployed 169 people, 30 appliances and 2 dog teams to deal with the incident's aftermath.
Andrii Sadovyi, Lviv Mayor, said that the commission had decided to allocate US$2.7 million to rebuild the destroyed homes.
PHOTO FROM ANDRII SADOVYI'S TELEGRAM
All residents who lost their homes were offered temporary accommodation in a hotel or a modular town in Stryiskyi Park, located nearby.
Later, Kozytskyi added on Telegram that a missile fragment fell in a village in Lviv district near the building of the People's House. A crater was created. Preliminarily, there were no casualties.
The missile fragments also caused damage to a private household in a village in Zolochiv district. Preliminary reports indicate no casualties.
Missile attack on Lviv: Body of 5th victim recovered from under rubble
The bodies of five victims were recovered from under the rubble of a building destroyed by a Russian missile attack on Lviv.
"Unfortunately, the number of people killed due to the nighttime missile attack on Lviv has increased to five. The body of a woman was uncovered from under the rubble. Sincere condolences to the relatives. Rescue workers continue to work at the scene of the tragedy," said Maksym Kozitsky.
Russians are fortifying themselves at Zaporizhzhia NPP as if preparing for battle
One of the employees of the occupied Zaporizhzhia NPP, who still works at the station, said anonymously that the Russian military continues to increase its presence at the station and fortify itself as if preparing for battle.
"On the roofs of the buildings, along the station's perimeter, fire positions are set up. Their work on fortification is still ongoing, and there are no signs that they will leave here yet.
The Russians were not as active before. First, they dug trenches around the industrial site, closer to the city. As a non-military person, I think it was more to keep them busy.
Now they do it more technologically – they set fire points inside the station's premises, and it looks like they will fight there. But perhaps this is also because they have nothing to do. They could sabotage it; no one can stop them. But it does not look like preparation for sabotage because they are fortifying [the plant] as if for a battle," - the employee said.
Russia struck a residential building and shop in Kherson, wounding people
At least three people have been injured in the Russian attack on Kherson on 6 July.
Oleksandr Prokudin, Head of Kherson Oblast Military Administration, reported that the enemy hit a residential building [in Kherson – ed.]. A 41-year-old woman sustained light injuries, and a 64-year-old man was hospitalized in moderate condition.
The enemy hit a residential building [in Kherson – ed.]. A 41-year-old woman sustained light injuries, and a 64-year-old man was hospitalised in moderate condition.